A friend sent me this list of someone's 55 top travel tips. My travel tips and lessons learned, mostly from this trip, in the order that I wrote them down:
- Pack lightly. Don't pack more than you can carry up a couple flights of stairs by yourself. I found this time and time again in apartments, hotels, and train stations. Make sure there's enough room in your bags for whatever you're going to bring home (both weight and volume).
- You can't pre-plan enough but at the same time, you can pre-plan too much. Plan enough that you know what you would LIKE to do. But don't over-schedule everything down to the minute.
- Be flexible in your plans in case something unexpected happens. In fact, expect the unexpected.
- Be prepared to make alternate plans to your daily itinerary in case transportation is late, the weather scuttles your outdoor activities, there's a train strike, you change your mind after seeing something else, you meet someone, you decide to stay somewhere longer than planned, etc.
- But also be prepared to radically change your plans (or have the means to crowdsource them) in case of something like a natural disaster or a strike that shuts down the city and prevents you from leaving.