Friday, September 23, 2011

Day 7: Paris (Sept. 23)

Today's photo set is here on Flickr.

The train from London to Paris was so uneventful that I slept for half of it, somewhere inside the tunnel until I arrived at Gare du Nord station. It took a bit to get my bearings there and figure out where to go, how to get money, where to buy the museum pass, and where to catch the #4 train to the Reamur/Sebastopol stop. I managed to figure that all out (got the museum pass and the hop on/off bus ticket at the TI kiosk at the far end) and met David, my host, at the apartment. He gave me some tips on the area and the key to the tiny flat which was mine for the next few days.



I took the L'Open Bus tour on the green line, which is like the "Best of Paris" route. We went by many of the major sites (the Opera House, the Louvre, Notre Dame, etc.) before I hopped off at the Place de Concorde so I could check it out then as it wasn't on my list of things to do during my stay. Hopped back on the bus and went down the Champs Elysees and circled the Arc de Triomphe before exiting at the Trocadero, across the street from the Eiffel Tower. I met Jeff and Linda as planned and we posed for the obligatory photos together - they were on their honeymoon and their wedding is the reason I didn't leave earlier in September. They honeymooned in Rome first and then Paris, in that order so we could meet up and I could crash their party. Since I had an 8pm ticket to get up the Eiffel Tower, and I met them at 6, we had to get a quick dinner at a nearby restaurant (I had the spaghetti Bolognese) so I could go up. The sights at the top are as breathtaking as the sights from the bottom, and the Tower is so photogenic that you can't help but stay and take pictures. I walked around the Champ du Mars and saw the people chilling out on the lawn there, many with bottles of wine (along with entrepreneurs selling bottles). Got back around midnight. Not too terribly strenuous but I needed the energy for the museum-laden day tomorrow.

Today's photo set is here on Flickr.

(Originally posted 10/2/11 at 2:27am, Copenhagen)

No comments:

Post a Comment