Saturday, October 29, 2011

Day 43: Zermatt (Oct 29)

Here are today's pictures.

  • Checked out of my hotel and took the train to Zermatt. I planned to spend the day here so that I could leave the next morning from here on the Glacier Express. Train ride from Interlaken to Zermatt was about 2 hours.
  • Checked into my hotel. I was one of two people staying at this location, they were closing for the season the next day (so basically closed all of November and part of December, until ski season). Dropped my stuff off at the hotel and made my way back to the center of town - the main street was somewhat crowded, but all of the side streets were empty because the businesses were closed for the season - and to the train station. Grabbed some lunch and sat outside looking at the mountains until it was time for my ride.
  • The ride to the top of the Gornergrat was about an hour, try to get a seat on the right side so you can overlook the valley and the mountains, and get some great shots of the Matterhorn. I wandered around and stayed up at the top for a couple hours. It was cloudy at first but then cleared up some, but the atmospheric conditions were just right to produce some sundogs that looked amazing over the Matterhorn.
  • After taking the train back down, I stopped at the local McDonalds to see what was on the menu (Cheeseburger Royal, McWrap, McChicken, and McRaclette) but stopped at another restaurant for an expensive burger and fries with a beer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment