Sunday, October 2, 2011

Day 16: Copenhagen (Oct. 2)

Pictures from today are in this Flickr set.

I had some things on the schedule today and leftover from yesterday - the Danish Jewish Museum and the Library, and the Rundetarn (Round House) which was originally built as an observatory for Tycho Brahe - but the only one that really interested me was the Viking Ship Museum in nearby Roskilde, so I slept in.



I had to take a train from Central out to Roskilde and then a bus to the museum, and as it turned out the bus only runs once per hour (the 607 bus, every :39 - exit the station and go left, not right) which of course I didn't know, otherwise I would have timed the train better). Apparently, about 900 years ago the Danish Vikings sank a number of ships to blockade their harbor against an enemy. In the 1900s, remains of these ships were found, excavated, restored, and put on display. They also used these to build replicas of what the ships would have looked like back then, created with tools of the time. The museum shows the originals and replicas, and other historical artifacts. For the bus back, the original driver told me that I should take the bus at that same stop, but it turned out what he really meant was the stop at the other side of the street. I wasted a half hour waiting for the bus (it only took about 90 minutes to see the whole museum, and the bus came once per hour) and then another 30 minutes on the bus while it completed the whole route. I could have taken the bus in the direction I came from rather than the direction I was going, and saved an hour. Oh well.

Made it back to Copenhagen Central and then walked down the part of the Stroeget that I didn't do yesterday for an hour, and caught the train to Malmo, Sweden. Yay, another country, and the train was going here anyway so it's not like I came here just to say I was in the country. Of course by the time I got there it was dark and I only had time to eat dinner, not do any sightseeing. There's a square just a couple blocks away from the train station, and I found a place called Mello Yello, which was reasonably priced (for Scandinavia). Couldn't believe that they had fajitas on the menu, I had to get it to see what they looked like. It was more like a giant burrito, with the sliced meat, onions, green peppers, guacamole, salsa (very mild), beans, sour cream, and... baby corn? It was tasty and good enough for dinner, though as fajitas it left a LOT to be desired.

The train consisted of six cars, two first class (with 2-person booths) and four second class (with 6-person bunks). Shortly after leaving Malmo, we pulled into the dock and the train rolled aboard a giant ferry which goes from Trelleborg Sweden to Jasmund Germany. Once the train was onboard, we took off for a 4-hour crossing of whatever the name of the body of water it is that separates Sweden from Germany, 62 km worth. Of course, for a time we're in international waters, so that's when the duty-free shop opens. They have TV rooms, video games, restaurants, cafeterias, and lots of tables for people to sit at if they don't want to stay in their cabin and sleep. After the water crossing, the train leaves the ferry and picks back up on the way to Berlin, arrival scheduled for 6:00am. Ugh.

Pictures from today are in this Flickr set.

(Originally posted 10/11/11 at 7:20am, Vienna)

No comments:

Post a Comment