Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day 15: Copenhagen (Oct. 1)

Today's photos are posted on Flickr here.

Woke up around 8:30 or so, after a good 8 hours sleep - which I haven't had since before I left. The train pulled into Copenhagen an hour late, around 11:30, despite the ontime departure, and I had to sit on the internet to finish arranging my lodging for the day.

I fell behind on that (and I haven't figured out my detailed plans yet for Prague and Budapest, even though they're next after Berlin later this week) and with the delay getting in I wasn't able to catch the changing of the guard at Ameliaborg at noon or the City Hall/Radhus tour, which had last entry at 12:30. I booked my train ticket for tomorrow night's voyage from Malmo to Berlin, and picked up a map that had a good walking tour of the downtown area, covering pretty much all of what I wanted to see anyway. So I tossed out my itinerary and just followed the map.

Stopped for lunch and that's when I got my first sticker shock - Copenhagen is very expensive. I got a chicken breast sandwich (which they called a club sandwich) for $17. Walked down the Stroeget and over to Nyhavn (pronounced "new houn'") with its picturesque canal and shops. Great for people watching and picture taking. I waited in line about 15 minutes to buy a ticket, then for another hour to take the boat ride. Luckily ended up on the starboard (right) side of the boat, which had the best views. We went by the Opera House, the Little Mermaid statue, into Christianshavn, past the National Library, and plenty more, getting in just before sunset. Took a walk down the harbor to the Little Mermaid statue, then walked back to Nyhavn for dinner (oven-baked salmon with saffron risotto, with a Somersby cider).

Made the walk all the way back to Central to pick up my suitcase and catch a bus to the house where I was staying for the night. Deborah was great working with me on making arrangements and giving directions; she's from London and her husband is from Kenya, and they've been living in Copenhagen for over 20 years.

Today's photos are posted on Flickr here.

(Originally posted 10/5/11 at 2:55am, Berlin)

No comments:

Post a Comment