Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 5: London (Sept 21)

Highlights: Millennium Bridge, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Windsor Palace and the Royal Collection, and the play "Wicked". In the meantime, here are today's pictures.

I had originally planned to see the Tower of London in the morning, then after lunch see St Paul's Cathedral, cross the Millennium Bridge to see the Tate Modern, make my way to Buckingham Palace to see the Gallery and the Staterooms, and top it all off with an Oktoberfest dinner at the Bavarian Beerhouse. I was quickly learning that what I plan doesn't always translate into what I do.

Decided that I wasn't that into modern art enough to want to see the Tate, so after making my way to the Blackfriars station I walked to the South Bank to at least see what it looked like from the outside, then took the Millennium Bridge towards the City. Passed by St Paul's (couldn't go inside) and walked east to the Tower of London. I had an appointment to meet a friend for lunch on the south side of the Tower Bridge, so paced myself to see what I could before then, and then caught what I missed after lunch.

Then I made my way over to Buckingham Palace in the afternoon - didn't see the Changing of the Guard - for my reservation to see the Gallery and the Staterooms. There was a special exhibit of "Treasures from the Royal Collection" containing Mythology and Regency, the latter celebrating the 200th anniversary of the Regency Act by the future King George IV (but no pictures allowed in the Regency exhibit). The tour led to the "back yard" of Buckingham Palace which led to the street halfway between the Hyde Park station and Victoria station. But when I got to the station, I made a quick decision that I'd rather go see the play "Wicked" at the Apollo Victoria Theater right across the street - I had never seen it before, and I figured that even though Oktoberfest was coming to an end soon, I'd be in Munich in a few weeks anyway. 

(Originally published 9/29/11 at 2:09am, Amsterdam)

No comments:

Post a Comment