Thursday, September 8, 2011

Copenhagen details


At the moment, still working out when to go to Cologne (Koln) and whether I'll get to Copenhagen from there or from Amsterdam, but wherever I get here from, they both arrive right around 10:00am.

The other unplanned hitch is that I didn't read the rail guide carefully and I assumed that the overnight from Copenhagen/Malmo to Berlin runs every night. In fact, it only runs Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday night. So I had to choose between staying my 3 days in Copenhagen/Malmo (Saturday 10/1 thru Monday 10/3) and flying from Copenhagen to Berlin on the morning of Tuesday 10/4 (otherwise it's an all-day train ride, getting in mid-afternoon), or cutting a day out here and saving it for later. Right now I'll do the latter, and have a spare day in my itinerary.



So this is what Copenhagen looks like, according to my schedule. I think it's pretty laid back, even with having to cut it short by a day. In some cases I was constrained by weekend times, others I got there the wrong time of year (Tivoli is closed for the summer season). Sunset is at 1845, and I'm hoping that since this is the farthest north I'll be in Europe, I'll see the aurora at night. Here's what my original take on an itinerary looked like back in March.

With the day cut short, I lose out on seeing the National Museum, the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek collection, Tivoli, and Christianshavn (including the alternative town of Christiana).

The overnight train to Berlin leaves Copenhagen at 2033 and stops in Malmo, leaving there at 2131. I figured I may as well catch the train from there.

Day 15, Sat Oct 1st
Day 16, Sun Oct 2nd
  • 0830-1000 train to Viking Ship Museum
  • 1000-1200 Viking Ship Museum
  • 1200-1330 train back to Copenhagen
  • 1330-1600 the Strøget shopping area and shops in Strædet
  • 1600-1700 Rundetårn (Round Tower)
  • 1700-1735 train to Malmo
  • 1800-1900 Rundan Canal Tour [sunset 1845]
  • 1800-2100 dinner & strolling thru Gamla Väster, Stortorget, Västra Hamnen areas
  • 2131 overnight train from Malmo to Berlin

No comments:

Post a Comment