Saturday, September 10, 2011

Berlin details

For some reason, the sights in Berlin seemed to me to not be as quantifiable in how long I should spend there, so I just grouped them in rough chronological order in geographic regions. First day after the bus tour is west to east along Unter den Linden, from the Reichstag to Alexanderplatz. Second day is the stuff south of Unter den Linden like Checkpoint Charlie and the Jewish Museum, then the Museum Island stuff north. Third day is the west and central stuff like the Ku'damm and Victory Column. I think I've arranged it so that I have good areas for lunch and dinner/evening.
For reference, here's what I had in my original look at Berlin back in March.

Day 17, Mon Oct 3 (west to east along Unter den Linden)
  • 0602 Train from Copenhagen arrives 
  • 0800-1200 Hop on/off bus tour. (good for 24 hrs) 
  • 1200 Unter den Linden walk: Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Memorial to the Murdered Jews, Pariser Platz, Bebelplatz, German History Museum, Museum Island (but not the museums yet), TV Tower, Alexander Platz (approx. 2 mile walk), plus other sites on the way. Lunch somewhere. Spree River 1-hr cruise (included w/bus tour) 
  • 1800 dinner in Nikolaiviertel area 
Day 18, Tues Oct 4 (south of Unter den Linden, then north)
Day 19, Wed Oct 5 (west and central)
  • KurfĂĽrstendamm walking/shopping 
  • Kaufhaus des Westerns (KaDeWe) for lunch 
  • Victory Column, Tiergarten Park 
  • Kulturforum area: Gemäldegalerie, Philharmonic Concert Hall, German Resistance Memorial 
  • Potzdamer Platz, dinner? 
  • TBD at night 
Day 20, Thu Oct 6
  • 0648-1128 or 0848-1328 Train to Prague 
Depending on time, I'd like to do another tour, like a Jewish Life or Third Reich tour (3-4 hours, typically at 10am).

No comments:

Post a Comment