Sunday, June 26, 2011

Florence (Nov. 8)

Update 8/3: And we're back on, I added one day in Florence and removed one day in Cinque Terre.

Update 7/11: Changed my mind again and removed Florence from the itinerary so that I could spend the time in Provence, France, instead. Maybe I'll add Florence back in if I cut something else out.

Update 6/12: I squeezed out a couple extra days here and there from my itinerary to make room for a stop in Florence after Rome. Those who have been told me that I couldn't come through Italy and not stop here. So I'll check it out.
I get into Florence at 9:45am from Rome on Nov 8th.

Fodors has this listed for its two-day itinerary, which coincidentally is the time I have allotted which I'll have to squeeze into one day and night.
  • Day 1: Morning at the Uffizi Gallery, then the Piazza della Signoria, then the Duomo. Climb the steps to the cupola of the cathedral dome for a great view. Spend the afternoon relaxing, shopping or wandering the medieval streets or head out to Fiesole to experience the ancient amphitheater and beautiful views of the Tuscan countryside.
  • Day 2: See Michelangelo's David at the Galleria dell'Accademia, the Medici Chapels, the Palazzo Pitti and Boboli Gardens, and the churches of Santa Maria Novella and Santa Croce. Spend the afternoon on a trip to Piazzale Michelangelo for a sweeping view of the Florentine countryside.
Reservations are required for the Uffizi and Accademia Galleries. And somewhere in there I'll have to cross the Ponte Vecchio, Florence's landmark bridge.

On the morning of Nov 9th, it's off from Florence to Pisa on the 8:05am to 9:22am train.

1 comment:

  1. So, another thing we did in this part of Italy is stay in an agritourismo in Chianti. It was a perfect low key affair in the heart of italy and still a 30 minute train ride from Florence for day trips Doesn't look like your itinerary has time for it, but I would highly consider this, its pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete